WHAT DO WE DO?
The Orion Township Building Department works in concert with other internal Township Departments such as Planning and Zoning. We strive to ensure an even and consistent application of township ordinances and that all construction in Orion conform to the State Building Codes. Our mission is to promote excellence in building practices among contractors as well as preserve the quality and lasting endurance homeowners deserve.
A Building Permit is required when any type of structural work is done on your home. This includes decks, additions, garages, sheds over 200 sq. ft., changing the size of existing windows, adding or changing interior walls or finishing interior attic or basement space. Sheds less than 200 sq. ft. must comply with the Zoning Ordinance. A building permit is NOT required for window replacements, exterior siding, or replacing roof shingles.
In order to obtain a residential building permit, the following information must be submitted to the Building Department:
- Completed Building Permit Application
- Completed Soil Erosion Application (if required)
- Plot Plan
- Two Complete Sets of Construction Plans
It's that time of year when people want to build a garage, pole barn, or shed. If you are planning on building an accessory structure please see the square footage allowed per Zoning Ordinance 78 Section 27.02:
AREA OF DETACHED
AREA OF ATTACHED
FLOOR AREA OF ALL
|Up to 1/2 acre
||750 sq. ft.
||75% of the principal structure
||1,150 sq. ft.
|1/2 to 1 acre
||900 sq. ft.
||1,300 sq. ft.
|1 to 2.5 acres
||1,000 sq. ft.
||1,500 sq. ft
|Over 2.5 acres
||1,400 sq. ft.
||1,900 sq. ft.
|*Includes the combined floor area of each story of the structure
| Please contact the Building Department at 248-391-0304 ext. 131 with any questions.
All trash must be stored in a container with a close fitting cover. The container must be kept in a location that is not visible from the street with the exception of trash pickup day.
NOXIOUS WEEDS ORDINANCE NO. 79
The presence of noxious weeds, grass over twelve (12) inches high, grass clippings, brush, tree branches, leaves, and cut or dead plants of any nature is hereby deemed to be detrimental to the public health, safety, and welfare and shall constitute a public nuisance.
Please contact the Building Department Code Enforcer for any concerns (248) 391-0304 ext. 130.
- Canada thistle (Circium Arvnse)
- Dodders (any species of Cuscuta)
- Mustards (charlock, black mustard, Indian mustard, species of Brassica or Sinapis) Wild Carrot (Daucus Carota)
- Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis)
- Perennial sowthistle (Sonchus arvensis)
- Hoary alyssum (Berteora incana)
- Ragweed (ambrosia elatior)
- Poison Ivy (rhus toxicodendron)
- Ox-eyed daisies
- Or other plant which is recognized as deleterious to the health, safety, or public welfare and recognized as a common nuisance
- And all types and varieties of grass weeds which exceed the height of twelve (12) inches above ground level.